Thursday, September 29, 2011

HIV/AIDS

          The topic regarding HIV/AIDS is a very serious one to say the least. I first heard of the disease in health class back in middle school. The main thing I remember from that class was the story of Ryan White. Learning about Ryan really made me realize how dangerous HIV/AIDS was. Ryan White was diagnosed with AIDS at the age of 13 which was right around how old I was when I learned about him. He died at the age of 18, and the fact that he obtained the disease accidentally through a contaminated blood treatment made me realize that I needed to be aware of what the disease was.

         HIV/AIDS is now a disease that is much more controllable then it used to be. However, there is still no vaccine or cure for the disease. Although nobody in my family or that I know has AIDS, I feel that it is a necessity to be informed about because of how big of an impact it had on society.

          Earvin "Magic" Johnson is a retired professional basketball player, he played for the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1980s. Johnson was diagnosed with AIDS in 1991 and is now a motivational speaker for the disease. He also works on the set of ESPN, and during the basketball season is on television quite often. This affects my world because when I turn on the T.V and see him speaking and doing fine it shows that he is beating AIDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment